Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Will Today be the Day?

Will today be the day that starts the rest of the days? The day you do 50 sit-ups before you walk out the door? The day you put on a suit? Lose the suit? The day you don't hit 'snooze'? The day you feel relieved? Taller? Wonderfully nervous? Will today be the day that starts the rest of the days?

Monster.com's ad slogan used to be "Today's the day." Really miss that campaign...

What's up everybody? Since I recently went through a major change in status and location, I figured one way to keep the mind limber would be some daily journal keeping in blog format. This also helps me keep in touch with all the family and friends who might be wondering what I'm up to when I can't seem to manage a reply to a phone call or e-mail, which is pretty much all the time (I can hear you all thinking to yourself "Aww, how sweet. He thinks we're actually going to read this thing.")

It's been, to put it mildly, a hectic three weeks. Over the course of less than a month I've gone from living in Los Angeles, CA to Bristol, CT, a 3000-mile change accomplished with a little grit, a dash of luck, and a willingness to cram all my stuff into the Montero and book it out of town as fast as humanly possible. It was the kind of stretch that makes you think of that old John Lennon lyric, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."

So almost two years after graduating, I'm finally able to lock down a job in sports broadcasting at this energetic little start-up known as ESPN, Inc. This comes after a year of working elsewhere in the Walt Disney Company as a Cast Member in Parks & Resorts (The Disneyland Resort, to be precise.) I'll be dropping in to write pretty much every day for the duration of my time here in Bristol, which is scheduled to last six months - but who knows what's gonna happen down the road? Thirty days ago I'd never thought I'd be here, so 180 days seems like an eternity.

Ah, but it's not. Lest we get too laissez-faire, I've established two basic goals to keep up with on the blog:

1) To try and keep a daily record of thoughts and activities that my family and friends can use to stay in touch (which might be aiming a little too high. If I manage to get five different people to view this site once I'll consider it a moral victory.)

2) To write five pages daily for the screenplay I've been working on (this would be a completely and utterly pathetic cliche back in Los Angeles, but now I'm a distinguished writer who's taken a sabattical from the smog and disgust to clear his head in rural Connecticut...alright, fine, I'm a cliche. Still.) But I've talked about this idea long enough, and today is the day that is going to start the rest of the days. Every day, a blog post. Every day, no matter how painful it is to sit and write, five pages. If I turn around the following day and delete 'em, fine. But five pages, every day, no excuses.

Today is the day that starts the rest of the days...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good start, please keep it going!

Brian

Unknown said...

YEAH! Keep it going GEO :)

Anonymous said...

A) Why was was I not immediately sent a link?
B)I want to meet Kenny Mayne
C) Please consider me your tennis consultant
D) Looking to score some sweet ESPN swag

GO FOR IT George and see you soon! Mrs. P.

Anonymous said...

George,

I don't see a post for every day, but I am glad that you are keeping a regular stream going.

Brian

Post a Comment